English Church Architecture -
FARMINGTON, St. Peter (SP 136 152) (February 2001)
(Bedrock: Middle Jurassic, Taynton Limestone Formation)
This is a small building, consisting in plan of a chancel, a nave with S. porch and N. aisle, and a short W. tower. The chancel is lit from the sides by windows with worn plate tracery, a thirteenth century form that is generally indicative of a date before c. 1245. The remaining exterior details of the church are either Perpendicular or Victorian and are all rather poor, except for the remains of a corbel table beneath the eaves on the S. side of the nave and chancel, of Norman-Transitional appearance, an attribution readily confirmed by the building's interior.
This is another matter entirely and includes as its first feature the S. porch inner doorway (shown left), where an arch bearing chevron springs from shafts with water leaf capitals. The tympanum is blank but the lintel is carved with intersecting circles. (A note in the church suggests this is re-used Saxon work.) The chancel arch (illustrated right) and three-bay N. arcade (shown in the thumbnail below left) are wonderful survivals: crude, rustic and squat, they show the massiveness that characterizes work of this period. The round chancel arch is formed of three orders, of which the innermost is unmoulded and the outer two, decorated with deeply carved chevron. All three spring from shafts, again with water leaf capitals. The pointed N. arcade arches are composed of two unmoulded orders, resting on the most gigantean of square, scalloped capitals, which are balanced on still wide, yet comparatively narrow, circular piers.