English Church Architecture -
BATTISFORD, St. Mary (TM 027 542) (June 2008)
(Bedrock: Upper Cretaceous, Upper Chalk)
There is little to be said of this church which consists of just a chancel and nave, with a lean-to N. vestry, a shallow N. chapel, now an organ chamber, a S. porch, and a wooden bell-turret with a little saddleback roof, supported partly on the nave W. wall and partly on an incompetently-designed brick buttress of square section, which rises in six curiously recessed stages. The age of this seems uncertain but the rest of the church is thirteenth century in origin with the vestry being a Perpendicular addition. The windows are an assortment that include renewed Y-tracery and cinquefoil-cusped Y-tracery in the S. wall of the nave, cusped intersecting tracery in the E. wall of the chancel, and supermullioned tracery beneath a segmental-pointed arch in the E. wall of the vestry. The cusped Y-tracery windows are probably indicative of a date c. 1300. The chancel walls are rendered in cement and look as poor as is usual for this material. Though very different in scale, both the S. porch outer doorway and the chancel arch inside, are double-flat-chamfered above semi-octagonal responds. A balcony at the W. end of the nave may be early nineteenth century work. The font has been whitewashed but displays a selection of Decorated traceries around the bowl. The restored nave roof is of king-post form, with king posts of octagonal section rising from tie beams to a collar purlin and collars.